MPS contracts with mental health agencies throughout Minneapolis to provide school-based mental health services to students and families. Watercourse Counseling Center provides school-based counseling services to Lyndale students and families. If you think your student and/or family might benefit from Watercourse’s services, please contact the school social worker, Sara Stenger, at Sara.Stenger@mpls.k12.mn.us for more information.
Watercourse Counseling Center School-Based Providers
Common issues addressed in play therapy:
- Anger and aggression
- Low self-esteem
- Grief / Loss
- Relationship challenges
- Divorce reaction
- ADHD symptom
- Crisis, trauma, abuse
- Social difficulties
- Academic problem
According to the Association for Play Therapy, play therapy helps children:
- Become more responsible for behaviors and develop more successful strategies.
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems.
- Develop respect and acceptance for self and others.
- Learn to experience and express emotions.
- Cultivate empathy and respect for thoughts and feelings of others.
- Learn new social skills and relational skills with family and friends.
- Develop self-efficacy and thus a better assuredness about their abilities.