Somali Folktale Project — Sheekooyin Carrureed
Lyndale School S.P.I.R.A.L. Project
Project Mashruuca S.P.I.R.A.L. ee Lyndale
The Somali Folktales
Each story has the same format. There is an English version of the story, followed by a Somali version. The story is then written as a play (in English). A page of background material with classroom ideas and vocabulary is included as well as two student pages (with answer keys) - a cloz activity and a sequencing activity.
To download a pdf copy of the complete folktale project or an individual story, click on a title below. Please keep in mind the purpose of this project.
It is important to remember that these stories belong to the Somali people. They are their stories and it is our firm belief that they should be used only as intended. No one should reproduce the contents of this collection for any reason other than to help Somali adults and children. With that in mind, feel free to use and adapt these materials in any way for educational purposes. However, the project, as a whole, should not be reproduced without the permission of the Minneapolis Public School District #1.
- Somali Folktales, The Complete Collection (Stories 1-19)
- Story 1: The Hyena and the Fox / Waraabe Iyo Dawaco
- Story 2: Mice / Jiir (Doolli)
- Story 3: The Cat and the Mouse / Bisad iyo Jiir
- Story 4: The Foolish Man and The Thief / Nin Doqan ah iyo Tuug
- Story 5: The King’s Daughter / Boqor Gabadhiisa Laga Soo Doonay
- Story 6: The Traveler / Nin Safar ah
- Story 7: Cigaal Shilad and the Lion Stump / Cigaal iyo Jirid
- Story 8: Omar and the Hyena / Cumar iyo Waraabe
- Story 9: Cigaal and the Enemy / Cigaal iyo Col
- Story 10: The Bird and the Fire / Shinbir Dab Qaaday
- Story 11: The Fox and the Hyena / Dawaco iyo Waraabe
- Story 12: The Sheep and the Goat / Lax iyo Ri'
- Story 13: The Elephant and the Squirrel / Maroodi iyo Dabagaale
- Story 14: The Hyena and the Sheep / Waraabe iyo Lax
- Story 15: The Fox and the Crocodile / Dawaco iyo Yaxaas
- Story 16: Ina Hagadare / Ina Xagaa Dheere
- Story 17: Two Men who Fought / Labo Nin oo Islaayey
- Story 18: Dagder / Dhagdheer
- Story 19: The Power of Education / Faa’iidada Waxbarashada